MLR Academy & Draft Combine
When: June 4, 2022
Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Ages: 18+ (out of high school)
Where: AVEVA Stadium, 12131 Kirby Dr., Houston, TX 77045
Cost: $40 includes t-shirt, lunch, snacks throughout the day, and a ticket to the Houston SaberCats vs Austin Gilgronis on June 3, 2022.
The Houston SaberCats and MLR are coming together to host an MLR Academy Combine that will also be looking at MLR Draft Eligible players. Attendees may be selected to join Rugby HTX, Houston SaberCats High Performance Academy Team, or will be looked at as Draft Eligible players for the SaberCats or other MLR teams.
The Combine will be filmed and shared with all of the MLR Teams.
Houston SaberCats High Performance Academy: RUGBY HTX
- We are looking for quality rugby players to be a part of the Rugby HTX Squad for our 2022-2023 Men’s D1 15’s season.
- Our season runs late October – April. We will play other MLR Academy teams as well as TRU Men’s D1 or D2 teams.
- Summer 7’s are also an option to be a part of.
What is expected of me if I am selected for Rugby HTX?
- $300 Dues Includes: Kit, Coaching, and Gym usage for the season, USA Rugby Registration, and Travel
- Attend all training and gym sessions (weekday evenings)
- Game Day Availability
- Professionalism (accountable, respectful of others and SaberCats property, etc.)
- Willing to relocate to Houston (Housing options available for top players)
- Willing to find a job in Houston that works with our training and game day schedule.
What will I get out of joining Rugby HTX?
- World Class Coaching Staff
- Use of facility including the gym and field at designated times
- Pre-Season Training with the SaberCats
- Possible invitation to train with the SaberCats
- Possibility of being called up to the SaberCats MLR team
Draft Eligibility Players:
Players who are eligible for the 2022 Draft must declare to have the opportunity to play for an MLR team. Players who are eligible but do not declare for the draft will not be eligible to play in MLR until the mid-point of the next competitive MLR season after their eligibility expires.
Key eligibility criteria:
- Must be enrolled in a US/Canadian University or College during the 2021-2022 academic year and be able to provide documentation (transcripts) as evidence of the same.
- Must have completed 3 years of college OR be at least 21 years of age.
Upon submission, MLR will review documentation and reserves the right to seek additional information to confirm eligibility.
Players other than those defined by the eligibility rules above may enter MLR if a team desires their services.
The MLR Draft form to declare eligibility will be available on the MLR website. Date TBD
Draft Policy Summary:
By declaring for the draft, players will be asked to acknowledge policies that include, but are not limited to:
- Player may potentially lose his college eligibility if an MLR contract is negotiated and / or signed;
- Player must be willing to relocate to any MLR team if he is drafted;
- Player must be willing to allow MLR to use his images and attributes during the 2021 MLR Draft.
- MLR teams retain the assignment rights of draftees through the mid-point of the next MLR season.
All MLR contracts fall under two categories:
- Standard Player Contract – Salaried, fixed term
- Associate Player Contract – Hourly wage
Once a player is drafted, the specifics of each contract, including type, compensation amounts, and term, will be negotiated between the League, team, and the player, once the player completes his collegiate eligibility.
A player that isn’t signed within the rights period, may enter the subsequent year’s Draft as long as they are eligible. If they lose their Collegiate Draft eligibility, they may enter the MLR if a team desires their services.
Players who enroll but aren’t drafted may enter the MLR if a team desires their services and they are no longer eligible for the next Draft. If they are eligible for the next Draft, they must enroll again to join MLR.
After the Combine:
At the completion of the Combine the Houston SaberCats Coaching Staff will go over their notes and contact each individual who participated in the combine letting them know if they were selected, or need to work on things. Draft Eligibility players will also receive feedback, but will not be selected for teams until the 2022 Draft takes place.
You are welcome to attend the combine, but it will be at your own expense. If you cannot make the combine in person we encourage you to still register and submit your Player CV and Highlights. There will be limited availability for International Players on Academy teams, but you are welcome to try. You will also be responsible for making sure your visa and other travel documents are done correctly before you come.
1820 Country Place Pkwy
Pearland, TX 77584
Ask for the SaberCats rate
What to bring:
- Wear comfortable rugby/athletic gear
- Rugby Boots
- Regular running shoes
- Extra Socks
- Sweat Towel
- Large water bottle (we will have fill stations)
- Mouth Guard
- Medication if needed
- Inhaler if needed
- Tape: If you need any taping done we will have Athletic Trainers available, but they will be offering limited services. YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN TAPE
We will supply lunch and have some snack items throughout the day, but if you have allergies or prefer your own food please bring it. You may bring a cooler if needed.
Before you come:
HYDRATE! HYDRATE! HYDRATE!
Summers in Houston are hot and humid! Please come prepared!
Questions? Please email Katy Norra at [email protected]
DO NOT SEND Katy Player CV and Rugby Highlights! They WILL NOT be looked at! Please submit your Player CV and Highlights with your combine registration using the link below!
Fall Youth Flag Rugby: Fall 2022
CO-ED for Ages 6-10 & 11-14 (No experience needed) Coached...
SaberCats Recognized by Texas Rugby Union
This year’s TRU Awards Dinner and Hall of Fame Induction...
Rugby 101 – Penalty Kicks with Gerrie Labuschagne
Rugby 101 Penalty Kicks with Gerrie Labuschagne
Mystery Shirt #2
Get your hands on the latest, limited edition Houston SaberCats...
MLR Announces 2022 First and Second All-MLR Teams
DALLAS (July 7, 2022) – Today Major League Rugby (MLR)...